What would you like to experience in Sweden?

Swedish_Carper

Petrijünger
Hi!

My name is Patric, I am 23 years old, study economi at university west, am a extreme fishing-freak and I live in Trollhättan, Sweden :)
My german aint good enough so I will try in english!

I'm thinking about starting a fishing-based business (offer guiding-services). My idea is to be very flixible in both the services I will provide and what kind of customers I will target. But I know that many germans are intrested in Sweden and the fishing we got and therefore I think it maight be favorable to primarily target germans :)

I am in the planing-stage and need to get a much better picture of what kind of needs and desires I would need to satisfy to get my idea to work! :)

Therefore I need YOUR help! What would be important to YOU if you went to Sweden for a fishing-holiday?

• How would you like the service to be? What would it include?
  • What price would you be willing to pay for a good service? (approximately)
  • Would it be ok with a english-speaking guide or is german a requirement?
  • What species would you like to target and what kind of waters would you like to fish?

As you might have understand, I want to know everything you know and think about going on a fishing-holiday in Sweden!!! :)

I'm very grateful for every post and opinion I get! :)

Best regards/ Patric Skoog

Hi swedish carper,

a warm welcome to a German speaking fishing forum.

At first I have to admit, that I personally haven´t been in Sweden or any other scandinavian country yet. But you can be sure, it is one of my favourite areas for future vacancies, especially my fishing vacancies, so I might be one of your future customers. And I also think the “picture in our german minds” of Scandinavia in general is a very desirable one. So it might really be a smart Idea for starting a business, from that point of view.

But on the other hand, there are many competitors in that business area as I know, what do you think you could deliver to the customers what the others can´t. What would be your advantage compared to your competitors?

Don´t get me wrong as I said, I like your Idea, but it could be a hard business.

From another point of view I wouldn´t focus on german guests only. With an adequate knowledge of the English language, which you obviously seem to have, you can and should focus on a broader variety of nations and especially fishers.

The “picture” of Scandinavian fjords and the impressing landscape for sure isn’t only settled in our German minds, but in other nations as well. You should think about it.

For the average german fisher it might be a “solvable” problem with an only english speaking guide. From my personal knowledge you can talk a lot with your hands and your body especially when you are familiar with the general topic (fishing at that moment).

To answer your precise questions.

To your first Question: If a fishing license is needed, the formal tasks should be settled already before your customers are arriving. E.g. they send a copy of their fishing license per mail and you are handling the organisational tasks in Sweden.
This should be a basic thing. In other areas of a smart holiday it is diverse from my point of view. It depends on the specific customer (fishers) segment you want to address. Are they thinking about bed and breakfast, will they cook by themselves? This is difficult to say. Maybe you can get some statistical information from your government about the average behaviour of the fishing tourists.

Would you like to address them in broader groups of anglers, or would you like to address anglers with their non fishing families? ( I hope you know what I mean, this is a huge difference)

The price needs to be comparable to your competitors or the adequate "service level" you´d like to address to the customers. To give you a naked number wouldn´t be very sensible I think.

With an english only speaking guide in general it shouldn´t be a bigger problem. This is no bigger questions for those who speak english at least rudimentarily.

But I could imagine there are a lot of german speaking guides there, or german guides that are accompanying a group of fishers and help them in Sweden with the organisational tasks.

To talk about the species and kind of waters is not that easy. I think this also depends on the personal favourite fishing method.

From my point of view the best thing might be to deliver the typical picture of Sweden in german minds with lonesome fjords, lakes and forests and some reindeer :eek: And try to lower the alcohol takes with your next vote. :)

I hope my ideas helped you a little and sorry for grammar mistakes, it´s late in the evening.
I hope you understood what I wanted to explain.

Kind regards

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Hi swedish carper,

if I would travel to Sweden, I'd like to go to the "Schärengärten"(you know?) to fish pikes. I've heard a lot about them, so it would be my first target.

I'll try to answer your questions precisely:

From my guide, I expect a big knowledge about the target-fish(in my example, the pike), how he lives and first of all where it is. My guide also should know the waters and the area. And I think he should be able to exhibit some big catches on photos.

I can't answer the price-question, because I have never taken a guiding-hour before.

It wouldn't be a problem for me to speak with a guide that just speaks English or Swedish, but I think many German fishers will prefer a german-speaking guide.

My biggest target would, as alluded, the pike, but I also would like to fish perches and pikeperches(zanders).

If you can't understand some words, just ask, I often had to look in a dictionary, but I hope my English is good enough for you:).

Hi swedish carper,

a warm welcome to a German speaking fishing forum.

At first I have to admit, that I personally haven´t been in Sweden or any other scandinavian country yet. But you can be sure, it is one of my favourite areas for future vacancies, especially my fishing vacancies, so I might be one of your future customers. And I also think the “picture in our german minds” of Scandinavia in general is a very desirable one. So it might really be a smart Idea for starting a business, from that point of view.

But on the other hand, there are many competitors in that business area as I know, what do you think you could deliver to the customers what the others can´t. What would be your advantage compared to your competitors?

Don´t get me wrong as I said, I like your Idea, but it could be a tuff business.

From another point of view I wouldn´t focus on german guests only. With an adequate knowledge of the English language, which you obviously seem to have, you can and should focus on a broader variety of nations and especially fishers.

The “picture” of Scandinavian fjords and the impressing landscape for sure isn’t only settled in our German minds, but in other nations as well. You should think about it.

For the average german fisher it might be a “solvable” problem with an only english speaking guide. From my personal knowledge you can talk a lot with your hands and your body especially when you are familiar with the general topic (fishing at that moment).

To answer your precise questions.

To your first Question: If a fishing license is needed, the formal tasks should be settled already before your customers are arriving. E.g. they send a copy of their fishing license per mail and you are handling the organisational tasks in Sweden.
This should be a basic thing. In other areas of a smart holiday it is diverse from my point of view. It depends on the specific customer (fishers) segment you want to address. Are they thinking about bed and breakfast, will they cook by themselves? This is difficult to say. Maybe you can get some statistical information from your government about the average behaviour of the fishing tourists.

Would you like to address them in broader groups of anglers, or would you like to address anglers with their non fishing families? ( I hope you know what I mean, this is a huge difference)

The price needs to be comparable to your competitors or the adequate "service level" you´d like to address to the customers. To give you a naked number wouldn´t be very sensible I think.

With an english only speaking guide in general it shouldn´t be a bigger problem. This is no bigger questions for those who speak english at least rudimentarily.

But I could imagine there are a lot of german speaking guides there, or german guides that are accompanying a group of fishers and help them in Sweden with the organisational tasks.

To talk about the species and kind of waters is not that easy. I think this also depends on the personal favourite fishing method.

From my point of view the best thing might be to deliver the typical picture of Sweden in german minds with lonesome fjords, lakes and forests and some reindeer :eek: And try to lower the alcohol takes with your next vote. :)

I hope my ideas helped you a little and sorry for grammar mistakes, it´s late in the evening.
I hope you understood what I wanted to explain.

Kind regards

Thank you for a interesting post with many good thoughts! :)

You have many good points and I have to ask, have you possibly studied marketing? :) I have studied the basics and study advanced marketing focused on service-marketing at the moment :)

You're right about the competitors, they do exist and many focus on germans and some even speak german. During my high school years at the sportfishing academy (focused on sportfishing-tourism) I studied german but I never really got it :D

The question "What would be your advantage compared to your competitors?" is highly relevant. I have some good ideas about how I'm gonna succed and how I should differentiate myself from my competitors but I'm still not done with my ideas :) But briefly, I trust my knowledge both when it comes to fishing, local-knowledge, marketing and business-management :) My weakness is my lack of routine. About the service itself my idea is to be much more flexible then the existing guiding-businesses. I do around 100 fishing days a year and I know my area inside out, I would like to offer customized services that are unique!

I think it is necessary to target both groups of anglers and anglers with non-fishing famelies, I belive in flexibility :)

Reindeers might be a bit tricky in my part of Sweden but possibly a elk or two ;)

Best regards/ Patric

Hi swedish carper,

if I would travel to Sweden, I'd like to go to the "Schärengärten"(you know?) to fish pikes. I've heard a lot about them, so it would be my first target.

I'll try to answer your questions precisely:

From my guide, I expect a big knowledge about the target-fish(in my example, the pike), how he lives and first of all where it is. My guide also should know the waters and the area. And I think he should be able to exhibit some big catches on photos.

I can't answer the price-question, because I have never taken a guiding-hour before.

It wouldn't be a problem for me to speak with a guide that just speaks English or Swedish, but I think many German fishers will prefer a german-speaking guide.

My biggest target would, as alluded, the pike, but I also would like to fish perches and pikeperches(zanders).

If you can't understand some words, just ask, I often had to look in a dictionary, but I hope my English is good enough for you:).

Hi Bartelmann! Thanks for the post :)

I think you mean "Skärgården"? :) And if you mean the same as I it's unfortunately on the other side of Sweden from where I live. But we have better fishing here ;)

Good knowledge- check, Pictures- check :)

What would be most important for you, great fishing or an outstanding nature-experiance? I understand that people want both and thats what I would try to offer them, but if you had to choose :)

Your english is as good as mine! :)

Best regards/ Patric

My favourite place is the Skärgården, that's the first when i think at sweden.
In the summertimes we only use "popper" hardbaits or big jerks. You wouldn't find some bait fishs...
the landscape there is wonderful and its a very good holiday place.

Zurück
Oben